Court Information


Circuit Criminal

County Criminal (Misdemeanors & Traffic)

Small Claims Court



Circuit Criminal

The Circuit Court has jurisdiction over all defendants accused of committing crimes that have been designated by the State Legislature as felonies. A felony is a criminal offense punishable by death or imprisonment in a state penitentiary. Felonies are classified into the following degrees:

  • A Capital Felony is punishable by death or life imprisonment without eligibility for parole.
  • A Capital Felony is punishable by death or life imprisonment without eligibility for parole.
  • A Life Felony is punishable by a term of life imprisonment and by a fine not to exceed $15,000.
  • A First Degree Felony is punishable by a term of imprisonment not to exceed 30 years and by a fine not to exceed $10,000.
  • A Second Degree Felony is punishable by a term of imprisonment not to exceed 15 years and by a fine not to exceed $10,000.
  • A Third Degree Felony is punishable by a term of imprisonment not to exceed 5 years and by a fine not to exceed $5,000.


County Criminal (Misdemeanors & Traffic)

The County Court has jurisdiction over all defendants accused of committing crimes which have been designated as misdemeanors. A misdemeanor is a criminal offense which is punishable by imprisonment in a county correctional facility. Misdemeanors are classified into the following degrees:

  • A First Degree Misdemeanor is punishable by a term of imprisonment not to exceed 1 year in the county jail and by a fine not to exceed $1,000.
  • A Second Degree Misdemeanor is punishable by a term of imprisonment not to exceed 60 days in the county jail and by a fine not to exceed $500.

Other charges handled in misdemeanor division:

  • County and Municipal Ordinances which are defined as local regulations passed by a county or municipality which are punishable by a fine less than $500 and/or imprisonment in a county jail for less than 60 days.
  • Criminal Traffic Laws which are defined by the Florida Rules of Court as a violation that may subject a defendant upon conviction to incarceration.

The Clerk of the Court has the responsibility for collection and distribution of all fines, forfeitures and court costs assessed by the Court.


Small Claims Court



What is a Small Claims Case?

A Small Claims case is a legal action filed in county court to settle minor legal disputes among parties where the dollar amount involved is $5,000.00 or less, excluding court costs, interest and attorney fees.

Do I need a Lawyer?

No, it is not necessary to have a lawyer. Small Claims court is considered a "peoples court" and a lawyer is not required. Clerk's Office personnel will provide you with the necessary forms for filing a Small Claims case.

Who can file a Small Claims case?

Any person(s) eighteen (18) years or older or any individual(s) doing business as a company may file a Small Claims case. A parent or guardian may file on behalf of a minor child. Each person who is a party to the claim must appear at the Clerk's Office to sign the necessary paperwork in the presence of a deputy clerk, or the signatures must be notarized.

What does it cost to file a Small Claims case?

Filing fees for Small Claims actions are determined by Florida Statutes and are subject to change by legislative action. Fees also vary in accordance with the dollar amount of your claim and the type of action.

Other fees are required for service on the parties you are suing and are dependent on the type of service you select.

A current Schedule of Service Charges is available in the Clerk's Office for your information.

What information do I need to file a Small Claims case?

It is important that you file your claim against the right party. The additional time you spend researching the current name could make a difference in whether you are able to collect should a Judgment be entered by the court in your favor.

Copies of any contracts, notes, leases, receipts or other evidence you may have in support of your claim must be furnished for each person you are suing as well as the court. You will need to bring the originals to your first court appearance. A full explanation of your reason for the Small Claims action will be necessary. You may wish to write this explanation out at home and bring it with you when you come to the Clerk's Office to initiate your Small Claims case.>

Are there other requirements?

Any time you sue someone other than an individual, there is additional information needed to complete the necessary forms.

For example, are you suing an individual doing business as a company, a partnership where there are several people doing business as a company, a corporation and are they incorporated, or an insurance company? It is important for you to research this information carefully.

What happens after I file my Small Claims case?

After you file your Small Claims case, each person or business you are suing must be served with a Summons or Notice to appear in court on the date and time scheduled when you filed your claim. This court date will be a pre-trial conference and you should be prepared to present your case in court.

At the pretrial conference mediation is ordered if both parties to the dispute are present and unable to settle their dispute. A mediator acts to encourage and facilitate the resolution of a dispute between two or more parties. It is an informal and non-adversarial process with the objective of helping the disputing parties reach a mutually acceptable and voluntary agreement. In mediation, decision-making authority rests with the parties.

If the dispute cannot be settled at the pre-trial conference, a court date will be scheduled by the court for your case to be heard. You must appear in court with all witnesses and documentation of your claim.

In court you will have an opportunity to explain your case to the judge, ask the person(s) you are suing any questions concerning your claim, present your documentation as discussed at the pre-trial conference and call on your witnesses to help explain your case.

Why use Mediation?

The Judge will require mediation because: Mediation is economical. Settlement is viewed as fair by both parties. There is one court meeting. You do not need to subpoena witnesses or evidence and depend on their presence at trial. You do not have to conduct extensive trial preparation. Mediation preserves personal and business relationships. It allows debtors to arrange repayment plans; avoid a judgement, and preserve credit reputation. Mediation protects privacy and avoids the publicity of trial. Both parties remain in control and participate in a "win-win" solution. The agreement is final and the dispute resolved.

Can I have a jury trial on my small claims case?

Yes, a trial by jury may be requested by the person(s) filing the Small Claims case [plaintiff(s)] upon written demand at the time the case is filed. Someone being filed against [defendant] may request a jury trial within five days after service of Notice or at the pre-trial conference.

What happens to my case if a settlement is reached?

If, at any time in the proceedings a settlement is reached between the parties, the plaintiff [person(s) who filed suit] must notify the Clerk of the County Court's Office in writing of the settlement.

How can I collect my judgment?

The court does not collect money damages for you. You may wish to consult with an attorney for advice on how to collect your judgment.

Can I file a lien against the defendant's property?

If you choose to place a Judgment Lien against any individually owned real property of the defendant's following the award of a Judgment in your favor, you should obtain a certified copy of your judgment and have it recorded in the Official Records at the Clerk's Recording Division. Fees for recording are set by statute and are subject to change by legislative action. Contact the Clerk's Office for current fees.


Online Services Logo and page link (External Link) is a service of Florida's Clerks of Court. The website provides several online services that are fast, convenient and secure. Click on the links below to access the services which are also available en español.


Click here to Search and Order Official Records OnlineSearch and Order Official Records

Official Records are documents required or authorized to be recorded in one general series called "Official Records". Search thousands of records across counties, all in one place. Frequently ordering records? Create an account for streamlined checkout. Records can also be purchased online.


Click here to Pay Traffic Citations OnlinePay Traffic Citations

Pay securely by credit card (Visa, Mastercard, AMEX or Discover) or debit card. Elect to attend or decline traffic school during the payment process.



Click here to Pay Child Support Online Pay Child Support

Non-custodial parents and employers can pay online with a credit card or direct debit from a bank account. Inquiry on a case’s payment history is also available online.



MyFloridaRemit.comAvoid the hassle of sending child support checks each month and pay online. Use for all child support payments made using the electronic check (e-check) payment method. The services are also available en español.


Other Clerk of Court Services

Search Court RecordsSearch Court Records online

Perform a public county search of court records online.


eFiling Portal logoState of Florida ePortal Site

The Florida ePortal web site provides eFiling and eRecording capability to users with a single statewide login. Users may utilize the ePortal web interface to submit documents to Clerks and Recorders.

 My Florida Clerks logo and site link (External Link)

Find information about the Courts, public records, research how to file a small claims case or find an official record.

The Clerk's office performs nearly 1,000 different constitutional and statutory functions or duties, representing the broadest and most diverse mantle of responsibility of any locally elected official. Find out more about the many things we do and the many ways we can help you at